6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
The unit presents a structured treatment of the design of switched mode power electronic converters. The course starts with passive diode rectifiers followed by thyristor rectifiers. Introducing various semiconductor active switches, commutation cells, and pulse width modulation technique, various active power electronics converters including DC/DC buck and boost converters, two-level DC/AC converters, and three-level DC/AC converters will be studied in details. Moreover, the procedure for designing various controllers for such converters will be discussed. Finally, several real-world applications such as variable speed drives, power filters, grid-tied power converters for renewable energy grid integration, and UPS systems are presented as examples.
At the successful completion of this unit you will be able to:
- Identify power semiconductor devices and use them to implement power electronic converters.
- Analyse two-level/three-level DC/AC converters and isolated/non-isolated DC/DC converters.
- Construct simulations of two-level/three-level DC/AC and isolated/non-isolated DC/DC power converters.
- Implement two-level DC/AC and non-isolated DC/DC power converters.
- Use power electronic converters in a wide range of applications.
- Identify pulse width modulation techniques and use them in DC/AC and DC/DC power converters.
Continuous assessment: 40%
Examination: (3 hours) 60%.
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component (assignments, tests, mid-semester exams, laboratory reports) and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
3 hours lectures, 3 hours laboratory and practice classes and 6 hours of private study per week
See also Unit timetable information
ECE2061 or TRC2500
ECE4505, ECE5055, ECE5505