6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Department of Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering
Not offered in 2017
The practical application of DSP systems using industry standard platforms. The unit covers practical aspects including current industry standard integrated software development and debugger tools, assembler from C, code optimisation, memory management, cache, architecture, hardware pipelining, XDAIS (eXpressDSP Algorithm Standard), EDMA, HWI (hardware interrupts) , McBSP (multiple channel buffered serial port), channel sorting, DSP/BIOS (scalable real-time kernel), HPI (host port interface). Advanced topics include wavelets, adaptive filters, real-time digital filters.
- To understand signals as fractal and non fractal and how they can be faithfully recorded, analysed and modified by systems
- To understand the strengths and weakness of sampled and digitised representations of signals, including images, in both time, frequency and time-frequency / time-scale domains
- To experience the strength of mathematics in describing these processes
- To understand and implement adaptive filter and real time filter systems
- To implement adaptive filters on an industry standard DSP development system
- To implement real-time filters on an industry standard DSP development system
- To implement wavelets on an industry standard DSP development system
- To develop a working knowledge of a real time current industry standard integrated software development system
- To develop a working knowledge of a real time hardware development system
- To develop a working knowledge of a real time hardware peripherals and their interfacing
Continuous assessment: 30% + Examination: (3 hours): 70%.
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component (assignments, tests, mid-semester exams, laboratory reports) and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
3 hours lectures, 3 hours laboratory and practice classes and 6 hours of private study per week
See also Unit timetable information
ECE2011 (or ECE3102)
ECE4404, ECE4805, ECE5012, ECE5404, ECE5805