6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Dr Qingyuan Du (First semester)
Dr Siew-Ling Yew (Second semester)
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
Keynesian macroeconomics; the open-economy, IS-LM framework and the aggregate demand-aggregate supply framework as a basis for more advanced macroeconomic analysis; principles of monetary and fiscal policy and problems of implementation; alternative theories of aggregate supply; new classical macroeconomics and the implications of imperfect information; new Keynesian macroeconomics and the implications of labour market rigidities; explaining and correcting inflation and unemployment.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- analyse systematically the forces that determine changes in macroeconomic performance and living standards in Australia
- understand the relationship between the domestic economy and the international economic environment, as reflected in the behaviour of the balance of payments and exchange rates
- appraise critically the issues underlying important contemporary policy debates in Australia and elsewhere
- appreciate the nature and relevance of some significant recent developments in macroeconomics
- engage in rigorous economic analysis.
First semester -
Within semester assessment: 30% + Examination: 70%
Second semester -
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
ECC9010, ECC5901, ECX9010, ETC2110