6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
- Summer semester A 2017 (Day)
This unit allows students to devote themselves to a major research project during third year. The project may involve field and/or laboratory work and will introduce the student to current research in Earth, Atmospheric, or Environmental Sciences. The project will develop independent study, problem solving, data generation, data analysis, and report writing. The experience gained in the unit will serves as training for postgraduate or professional research.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Generate, manipulate, and interpret data relevant to Earth, Atmospheric, or Environmental Sciences.
- Conduct independent research, including defining research questions and developing research methodology.
- Understand the broader scientific and social aspects of research in their chosen field.
- Present the outcomes of a research project both orally and in written form.
Literature review: 25% + Project report: 75%
The project requires a workload commitment of 144 hours over the semester. This will typically comprise a combination of fieldwork, laboratory work, data analysis, background research, and report writing.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
A distinction (70%) average in 12 points of third year EAE, ESC, ATM or ATS units managed by the School of Earth, Environment and Atmosphere. Approval from the unit co-ordinator is also required.