12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
A major project selected by the student in consultation with the course coordinator. The topic will serve as a vehicle to demonstrate the student's understanding and capabilities. Project planning and research is an important aspect of the unit.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- undertake a major project with effective resolution of technical detail at a level sufficient to brief specialists
- develop a brief; analyse client and user requirements; research and resolve technical requirements; specify materials, finishes; and construction concepts
- communicate and present the project design to client and constructors
- explain analytically the cultural sources of the inspiration for the design
- express persuasively the aesthetic and symbolic values embedded in the design
- relate the design to historical and contemporary precedents, not only for the sake of explaining its technical and cultural virtues but for potential refinements and the development of vision in their future career
- observe and employ occupational health and safety practices appropriate to studio practice
Project research, planning, design: 80% + Project report: 20%
8 studio hours and 16 hours of independent study per week
See also Unit timetable information