6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
This unit further develops design research, investigation, concept development, communication, presentation and practice capabilities achieved in DGN2003 Interdisciplinary design studio 3. It focuses on expanding the details of user, technical and construction requirements. In addition, the social context of design is extensively considered, including cultural and ethical expectations. Projects will be set in a variety of contexts. A critical view toward designing is fostered throughout.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate a high level of practical design research, design process and design communication
- demonstrate a practical understanding of user, technical and construction factors
- demonstrate an awareness of social, cultural, environmental and gender issues
- produce design solutions which resolve identified issues with aesthetic integrity
- defend their designs on practical, symbolic, aesthetic and ethical grounds
- understand and apply the principles of occupational health and safety practices in the studio.
Minor project: 20% + Two major projects: 2 x 40% each
12 hours per week including 4 studio hours and 8 independent study hours
See also Unit timetable information