6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
School of Clinical Sciences at Monash Health
- First semester 2017 (Off-campus)
This unit encompasses a broad range of topics within the area of aged mental health, including depression, anxiety, dementia, delirium, delusional disorders as well as other conditions. The central elements to psychiatric assessment are covered including presentation and history taking, symptom recognition, cognitive and neuropsychological testing as well as treatment and management principles. Various case scenarios provide examples of key issues that can arise, the course of an illness as well as the application of appropriate therapeutic strategies. This unit also draws attention to aspects of successful ageing, as well as indigenous mental health, service delivery, psychopharmacology and protection issues surrounding the vulnerable elderly person.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a basic understading of aged mental health;
- Demonstrate a knowledge of recent developments in this area;
- Identify service delivery, examining treatments and management issues in the mental health of the elderly; and
- Demonstrate an understanding of research findings in the literature.
- Participation in a minimum of 5 x Moodle discussions (Hurdle)
- Essay (3,000 words) (45%) (Hurdle)
- Applied learning exercise (3,000 words) (45%) (Hurdle)
- On-campus workshop / Alternative assessment (10%)
All assessments must be passed to pass the unit.
Off-campus attendance requirements
Two day on campus workshop.