6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Term 3 2017 (Day)
This unit is only available to students enrolled in the double award Master International/Master of Transportation Systems with South East University, China.
This unit introduces students to contemporary issues in planning for sustainable transport. Extensive use is made of case studies, practice exercises and practical 'real world' problems to reinforce the relevance of the material to contemporary professional practice. The concept of sustainable transport is introduced along with the steps in the transport planning process. Supply and demand oriented approaches to addressing transport challenges are reviewed and travel demand management is placed into context. The characteristics of transport modes and travel demand patterns are used to provide a framework for considering the suitability of a particular transport mode for a particular context. Travel survey methods are considered with an emphasis on the role of survey design and administration in the collection of useful travel survey data.
After completing this unit students will be able to:
- critique the framework within which transport planning is conducted and the foundations upon which transport policy is formulated
- appraise the range of supply and demand-oriented solutions which can be used to address transport and associated environmental problems within a sustainability context
- judge the suitability of alternative methodologies for conducting transport surveys
- critique transport surveys on the basis of their sample design, questionnaire design and survey administration
- analyse contemporary issues in transportation planning and policy and assess the suitability of different policy options.
- demonstrate effective written and oral cummunication skills
Examination (3 hours): 50%
Students must pass both components
150 hours study
See also Unit timetable information