6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit is only available to students enrolled in the double award Master International/Master of Transportation Systems with South East University, China.
This unit highlights fundamentals of data analysis, probability and statistics and their application to transportation systems analysis. Quantitative methods in data analysis and statistical methods relevant to traffic and transport engineering, survey design, modelling and forecasting will be investigated. The student is expected to develop an understanding of probability theory and statistical procedures, along with approaches for integrating data analysis and graphical methods. The unit is designed to provide students with an in-depth understanding of the process involved in model development.
After completing this unit students will be able to:
- appreciate the need for a systematic approach for data collection, analysis and model development
- recommend, apply and evaluate graphical and tabular methods of presenting data along with probabilistic modes, descriptive statistics and statistical tests to gain rigorous insight from transport and traffic data
- critique the methods employed and the insight obtained from data analyses
- design and distinguish the required steps in the model development process
Examination (3 hours): 50%
Students must pass both components.
See also Unit timetable information