6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Department of Civil Engineering
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- First semester 2017 (Off-campus)
This unit introduces students to the field of intelligent transport systems by examining component technologies and exploring how those component technologies are brought together in applications or products. Contemporary issues in the application of advanced technology in transport are considered including societal impacts and the roles of the public and private sectors.
At the successful completion of this unit you will be able to:
- Describe and assess the role of advanced technology in addressing transport problems.
- Assess technology building blocks, their functional areas/characteristics and role in the design of emerging intelligent transport system (ITS) applications.
- Conceptually design, appraise and evaluate ITS applications on the basis of their performance, economic, environmental and social impacts.
Assignments: 50% + Examination (3 hours): 50%.
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component (assignments, tests, mid-semester exams, laboratory reports) and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
150 hours study
See also Unit timetable information