6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Department of Civil Engineering
Dr Asadul Haque (Clayton)
Dr Vivi Anggraini (Malaysia)
Review of soil mechanics model; the geological context of a project; site investigation and laboratory testing techniques; conceptual design of foundations; elastic, consolidation and creep settlement of shallow footings; total and differential settlement; bearing capacity of shallow footings of layered soils; raft foundations; piling options; the relationship between construction techniques and pile performance; axial capacity of single piles in compression and tension; settlement of single piles; capacity and settlement of pile groups; piled rafts; lateral capacity of piles; rational methods for design of rock-socketed piles; static, dynamic, statnamic and integrity testing of piles.
At the successful completion of this unit you will be able to:
- Assess geotechnical investigation carried out for a civil infrastructure development project.
- Generate geological models for a development site based on the geotechnical investigation data.
- Predict design parameters for materials of interest from the geotechnical investigation results and existing correlations.
- Design shallow foundations on complex ground profiles using site specific material properties and satisfying limit states requirements.
- Design pile foundations for complex loads and ground conditions based on limit state and serviceability requirements.
- Generate quality reports for geotechnical investigation and design outputs.
Continuous assessment: 60%
Examination (2 hours): 40%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component and at least 45% in the final examination component, and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
2 hours lecture, 2 hours practical and 8 hours private study per week.
See also Unit timetable information