6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Professor William Young (Clayton)
Mr Dennis Ong (Malaysia)
Need for project management; the project management context; fundamental project management processes and knowledge; tools and techniques for a structured application to project selection and planning including project brief/ideation/concept embodiment decision support tools, numeric profitability and scoring techniques, and EMV/decision tree risk quantification tools; analytical tool application to project scope, time, cost, risk, human resource, OHS and quality issues. Review of company financial management concepts.
To provide a framework and basic knowledge for understanding the processes of project management. The major themes covered in this unit are:
- Project management: a perspective
- Project selection
- Project feasibility
- Risk assessment and scope definition
- Project time management
- Project risk management
- Project cost management
- Project cost budgeting and control
- Project quality management
- Human resource management and strategic management.
Students are expected to:
- Acquire a basic knowledge of the principles and practice of project management
- Understand the different components of a project, their interaction and applications;
- Appreciate the role of a project manager as a member of a multi-disciplinary team and develop skills in the critical assessment of alternative solutions.
Progressive assessment: 40%
Final examination (3 hours): 60%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component (assignments, tests, mid-semester exams, laboratory reports) and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
2 hours lecture, 2 hours practice and 8 hours of private study per week.
See also Unit timetable information