6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Assoc Professor Xuchuan Jiang (Clayton)
Dr Chong Meng Nan (Malaysia)
Understanding of synthetic methods, properties and applications of nanomaterials, including zero-dimensional nanoparticles, one-dimensional nanostructures (nanotubes, nanorods, nanowires and nanofibres), two-dimensional thin films, nanoporous materials and nanofabrication techniques such as lithography and self-assembly. Emphasis on advanced nanomaterials and the importance of nanostructured materials used in various chemical engineering applications. Examples of bionanotechnology-inspired nanostructures using biological building blocks in self-assembling processes.
On completion of this unit, students are expected to gain knowledge and understanding on:
- The concepts of nanostructures and nanofabrication, including different synthesis methods
- The unique properties and applications of nanomaterials with emphasis on chemical engineering applications, including separation, absorption and corrosion
- New advances at the interface of engineering and biology
- The use of nanomaterials in medicine with examples in drug and gene delivery
- Bionanotechnology approaches to build nanostructures using self assembling peptides and DNA
In addition, students will acquire skills in:
- Critical literature review
- Team work management
- Oral and written communication in scientific context
Assignments/Tests/Laboratory: 50% + Examination (2 hours): 50%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component (assignments, tests, mid-semester exams, laboratory reports) and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
2 hours lectures, 1 hour of practice sessions, 3 hours of laboratories and 6 hours of private study per week
See also Unit timetable information