6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
The law affecting Australian enterprises engaged in international business. Topics include international trade conventions; import and export procedures; the sale of goods; carriage of goods by sea and air; bills of lading and the Hague-Visby rules; finance of international trade; payment and documentary credits; the use of negotiable instruments in international trade; international commercial arbitration and marine insurance.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- examine and analyse the international legal framework in which trade between nations take place
- identify and analyse the legal issues in an international trade context
- identify, analyse and apply the laws to solve legal problems that arise from international commercial transactions
- identify and analyse the laws relating to international contracts of sale, finance of international trading transactions, international carriage of goods, insurance in international trade and dispute resolution in international trade
- identify and analyse the form and nature of documents used in international trade including contracts of sale, shipping documentation, invoices, insurance policies, bills of exchange, documentary collections and letter of credits.
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
Students must have passed BTG1200, BTW1200, BTW1201 or BTW1042 before undertaking this unit.
BTC2190, BTF3201, BTG3201