6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
The unit will focus on the law relating to corporate governance in Malaysia. It will begin with the need for good corporate governance in Malaysia and the factors that are involved in ensuring good corporate governance. It will focus on directors' duties and the need for the board to be independent of majority shareholders and their nominated directors and on the role that auditors and shareholders play in ensuring good corporate governance practices. The unit will also include the disclosure obligations of companies and how these rules are currently enforced. In all instances the essential elements of the law is examined, as are the implications of each law on business practice.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- define the concept of companies as legal entities
- explain the significance of companies as entities for carrying on business in Malaysia
- identify and critically evaluate how Malaysian legislation and relevant case law affects the internal and external regulation of companies
- demonstrate an awareness of corporate legal theory and law reform.
- critically evaluate the effectiveness of aspects of corporate law in the context of the changing needs of the community
- apply critical thinking, problem solving and presentation skills to individual and/or group activities dealing with corporate law and demonstrate in an individual summative assessment tasks the acquisition of a comprehensive understanding of the topics covered by BTW2213.
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
Students must have passed BTG1200, BTW1200 or BTW1042 before undertaking this unit.