6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Evening)
This unit examines business law in a management context. It will cover contractual and non-contractual risks and will provide instruction on how to identify, assess and manage these different legal risks. It will also provide an introduction to different legal forms of business organisations and their comparative risks and advantages.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- develop an understanding of the basic legal risks when operating a business, including contractual risks, non-contractual risks and statutory risks
- develop the ability to identify, assess and resolve these legal risks.
- develop an understanding of different legal forms of business organisation (sole trader, agency, partnership and corporation), to be able to critically determine the most appropriate legal form, understand the benefits and problems associated with each legal form and develop a good corporate governance regime.
Within semester assessment: 40% Examination: 60%
Within semester assessment: 60% Examination: 40%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning,peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
BTF5903, BTG9270, BTX5140, BTX5950, BTX9020, BTX9030, MBA9002