6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Mr Jonathan Teoh (First semester)
Dr Diane Kraal (Second semester)
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- First semester 2017 (Evening)
- Second semester 2017 (Evening)
The unit covers the concepts of income taxation and the taxation of capital gains in their underlying historical, social and constitutional contexts. It includes discussion and learning of the policy and constitutional matrices of taxation, the legal definition of income, taxation of income from personal services and business, taxation of fringe benefits, indirect taxation of goods and services, taxation of capital gains, taxation of companies and allowable deductions from gross income in personal and business contexts.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- identify conceptual structures in the core income tax provisions and apply them in an ordered approach
- understand fundamental tax concepts to determine income and deductions, and together with appropriate judicial principles, apply them to personal, business and property scenarios
- calculate income tax, CGT and GST liabilities; and the taxable value of fringe benefits
- understand the operation of the taxation system; the interaction of GST with other taxes; and some tax accounting principles.
First semester -
Within semester assessment: 30% + Examination: 70%
Second semester -
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
BTG9270 and BTX9651