6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Evening)
This unit provides students with an appreciation of best corporate governance practices from a global perspective. It considers the reasons for the interest in corporate governance and compares and contrasts the various international corporate governance systems and best practice models; roles and functions of the board of directors, board committees and the board's relationship with management are explored from both a legal and management perspective; empirical studies of the relationship between corporate governance and corporate performance, and the role and legal duties of directors in takeover and insolvency contexts. Corporate governance issues in Asia are also analysed.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- describe the theories upon which corporate governance models are based, including the legal, economics and management perspectives of these theories
- evaluate the various international corporate governance systems and best practice models
- define the roles and functions of the board of directors and the board's relationship with management, shareholders and other stakeholders
- analyse the way in which corporate law, historical factors and economic institutions affect corporate governance
- critically analyse various aspects of corporate governance best practice.
Within semester assessment: 60% + Examination: 40%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information