6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit introduces students to Environmental Management issues in Southeast Asia, with a necessary emphasis on the philosophies, procedures, processes and examples from Malaysia. Students will gain an understanding of the need for effective Environmental Management, and how local ethics and legislation drive this process. The unit covers fundamental environmental management concepts such as environmental impact assessment, auditing, and monitoring, as well as environmental standards, and valuation methodologies. This theoretical content will then be elaborated and enhanced by introducing students to key environmental issues in tropical Southeast Asia, which will be supported by examples and detailed case studies. Students will engage in interactive tutorial activities that are designed to expand on the content delivered in the lectures. The practical component of the unit comprises a group project, based on a field trip to a local site that is relevant to the key environmental issues introduced in the unit.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Apply knowledge and skills gained in this unit towards effective environmental management and sustainable resource management;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the philosophical, ethical and legal need for effective environmental management;
- Undertake sampling and survey activities to identify potential environmental impacts and minimise them;
- Collect, collate, manage and analyse environmental data;
- Report the results of environmental analyses in a variety of relevant media;
- Contribute to the environmental decision making process in Southeast Asia;
- Work collaboratively and effectively in teams in tropical environments.
Two written assignments (15% each):30%
Major project report and presentation: 25%
Examination (2 hours): 45%
Two hours of lectures and one 1-hour tutorial per week, plus one full-day field trip
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
ENV3737, ENV3011, ATS3546