6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Enrolment quota of 156 per semester
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
This unit will combine classroom teaching and direct observance experience of the money markets covering background to the money markets, participants, interest rate and exchange rate determination, instruments traded in the money and currency markets, strategies and money and currency market trading operations. The simulated treasury dealing room (STARLab) will be used extensively in this course. This is a specialist, practically oriented unit where attendance is compulsory as assessment is based on classroom activities.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- analyse dealing practices and conventions in the foreign exchange and cash markets
- develop the front office and back office functions of a simulated bank's treasury dealing room
- plan, verify and settle transactions completed in the treasury dealing room
- develop, implement, analyse and manage dealing strategies in the treasury dealing room
- plan, organise and report on all activities involved in the treasury dealing simulation
- apply critical thinking, problem solving and presentation skills to individual and/or group activities dealing with money market operations.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
Students must have passed AFF2401, BFF2401 or equivalent before undertaking this unit.