6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
This is the final clinical unit for the paramedic undergraduate and brings together all the previous clinical units. It consolidates all previous learning and expands student knowledge to include more advanced concepts. The lectures and practical components of the unit are designed to challenge the student with more complexity. Advanced cardiology, paediatrics and other specialty situations such as hyperbaric emergencies are included. This unit will also prepare for the transition of the undergraduate to graduate practice.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Apply the combined knowledge of all previous clinical units to the critical care and specialty situation patients.
- At a graduate level, through scenario and simulation work, demonstrate an understanding of the presentation, assessment, and paramedic management of the selected critical care specialty conditions commonly encountered by paramedics.
- Evaluate the drugs commonly used by paramedics and apply their use to the management of selected critical care specialty conditions.
- Integrate the clinical approach at a graduate level, to demonstrate your high level of theoretical knowledge, and clinical skills, to assess and manage patients with selected critical care specialty conditions in 'real time' work simulation. This will involve using an extended range of skills including: clinical problem solving, clinical decision making, patient safety, communication and teamwork.
- Outline the structure of medical retrieval systems in Australia and the Asia-Pacific region and demonstrate the required clinical skills to participate in medical retrieval and/or inter-hospital transfers.
- Develop clinical preparedness for transition to employment as a graduate paramedic.
- Mid-semester Exam (1 hour) (20%)
- Complex Condition Assignment (3,500 words) (40%) (hurdle)
- Final Examination (40%) (hurdle)
- Practical Exam(Pass/Fail) (hurdle)
A combination of lectures, tutorials, practicals and online activities (6 hours per week), and self-directed study (6 hours per week).
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Must be enrolled in courses 3445 or 3892.