12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
The unit will explore critical thought and theory in a specific field of geography and environmental science as identified by the students' supervisor in consultation with the student. It allows student to become immersed in a body of literature that is related to their emerging research interest. The coordinator of the unit guides the student along this process by facilitating seminars attended by all students taking this unit. Students will be guided in reading for research and identifying key thinkers and theories in their chosen topic.
- Demonstrate through their written work logical consistency and clarity
- Construct a verbal argument defending a theoretical standpoint
- Provide a succinct and critical assessment of a piece of academic literature
- Contribute to debate and discussions on theoretical and methodological discourse in the chosen field of Geography
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study