6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit entails a critical introduction to the study-field of child justice in South Africa with an exposition and analysis of the concepts legal relativism and child offenders as victims. Child justice is studied within particular socio-economic, cultural and political contexts scrutinise within a human rights framework, sentencing practices, state service delivery and statutory provisions rendering in practice the opposite than the envisaged constitutional protection. This course concludes with measures for purposes of redress, focusing on minimum standards for child justice and reform, child justice indicators and structural interdicts to ensure state delivery.
- Understand the study field of child justice
- Apply knowledge of child justice to particular contexts
- Demonstrate the ability to critically assess child justice risks
- Critically appraise the impact of criminal justice victimisation on the rights of the child and that of a just society
- Demonstrate knowledge of child justice reform
- Use appropriate science and technology effectively and responsibly when dealing with child justice without harming society, the environment or individuals
- Work and communicate with others as a member of a multi-disciplinary team to deal effectively with child justice
Within semester assessment: 65% + Exam: 35%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Twelve credit points of second-year Arts units.
AZA2467, ATS2467, ATS3467