12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit serves both as an expansion of undergraduate background knowledge and as a preparation for further studies and research in the Journalism, Australian and/or Indigenous Studies. The unit content will focus on one or more broad topical themes to be advised beforehand. Students will critically examine current research in the nominated field(s), and devise a research project to be approved by the lecturer.
On completion of this unit students should be able to:
- critically examine current research in a nominated field within their discipline;
- effectively locate and access relevant literature on the selected field of study;
- design and develop a minor research project that develops the knowledge in the field in some way;
- participate in seminars as required to discuss and develop their project collegially;
- effectively locate, access and review relevant literature on the selected field of research;
- produce a scholarly essay that clearly and cogently presents the outcomes of the research.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
Off-campus attendance requirements
Online and phone discussion