6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Dr Joan Smith
- Second semester 2017 (Online)
This unit recognises the organisational context of all social and community welfare practice and explores how this shapes practice interventions. Students are prepared for the increasing number and range of leadership and management positions. embodied in contemporary human services practice, with an emphasis on planning, monitoring and evaluation processes.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students should be able to:
- critically analyse a Human Service Organisation in terms of goals, structure, culture and environment;
- view a Human Service Organisation from the client perspective;
- identify the different roles played by practitioners across various levels within a Human Service Organisation;
- identify and describe a range of appropriate management and leadership styles;
- identify the purpose, key components and functions of supervision in Human Service Organisations;
- develop an appropriate program plan and evaluation strategy for a Human Services program;
- critically analyse the roles, functions and skills required for effective management in a Human Service Organisation;
- demonstrate knowledge and skills in effective leadership.
Within semester assessment: 60% + Exam: 40%
See also Unit timetable information
Dr Joan Smith
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
ATS2850. GSC2307, GSC3307, SCW2307, SCW3307