6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit will provide students with the opportunity to investigate directing practice in some detail. Students will choose a directing project, carry out dramaturgical research on the text and appropriate contexts, prepare the text for rehearsal, cast the work, carry out rehearsals, and stage their project. They will also write up the mise en scene of their production. Students will receive regular guidance and feedback on their projects.
Upon successfully completing the unit, students should be able to carry out a directing project from preparation through to performance, and thus be able to:
- Engage in dramaturgical research;
- Prepare a text for rehearsal with actors;
- Carry out detailed and careful rehearsal;
- Collaborate with other theatre practitioners in order to present a performance;
- Understand the relations between performance work and the contexts in which it will be presented;
- Keep a detailed and clear record of work such that other practitioners would be able to follow the production strategies.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information