6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Communications and Media Studies
- Second semester 2017 (Online)
Students need to contact the Arts Student ServicesArts Student Services (http://future.arts.monash.edu/contact-arts/) desk to enrol in the unit.
As for ATS2449.
On successful completion of this unit students will have:
- a strong understanding of a range of theories informing the analysis of media representations
- an ability to use these theories to conduct the analysis of media texts in both academic and journalistic contexts
- a developed capacity to analyse a range of compositional techniques in terms of how they may be deployed to produce specific social, conceptual and corporeal effects
- an awareness of the force of reading protocols and textual histories in directing both everyday and scholarly responses to media texts
- an applied understanding of the importance of cultural and communications theory for opening new possibilities in the everyday interpretation of media texts.
Within semester assessment: 60% + Exam: 40%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Twelve credit points of second-year Arts units.
ATS2449, COM2409, COM3409, GSC2409, GSC2413, GSC3409