6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit provides students with an introduction to conducting research in Spanish and Latin American Studies. This unit will enable students to read critically and record responses to readings; to synthesise and evaluate diverse material on a single topic; to search databases for articles and books relevant to their research area; to present and distinguish the ideas of others according to academic conventions.
At the completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- interpret and discuss a range of Spanish and Latin American cultural products and political discourses;
- have an understanding of contemporary critical theories and their application to Spanish and Latin American contexts;
- have a greater understanding of Spanish and Latin American cultures and societies;
- develop sophisticated oral and written expression in Spanish.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
ATS1196 or ATS2196