6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit requires a language entry level testlanguage entry level test (http://www.monash.edu/arts/language-entry-level/).
This unit provides advanced level students an opportunity to engage with contemporary issues and developments in Japan. Using authentic materials, students will strengthen reading, writing and speaking skills and expand knowledge of the Japanese language and culture.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- increase their knowledge of current issues in Japan through various media
- developed their ability to formulate ideas and opinions and debate current issues in Japanese with precision
- enhance their ability to read and comprehend authentic materials, both print and on-line texts, using on-line glossaries and dictionaries
- enhance their ability to comprehend spoken Japanese in direct format exposition and audio-visual media
- have gained research skills in Japanese including: search of information through various sources; critical thinking; and oral and written presentation skills.
Within semester assessment: 60% + Exam: 40%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
ATS3148 or equivalent