6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music
Associate Professor Thomas Reiner
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- The unit has a compulsory ensemble componentensemble component (http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/music/category/performance-studies/student-ensembles/). Some ensembles are subject to audition. Normally, auditions take place in Week 1 of the semester. Please see the unit guide for further information.
- Students who fail this unit will need permission from the unit coordinator in order to repeat the unit.
This unit consolidates advanced skills in composition developed in ATS2128 Composition 4. Students further develop technical skills by conceiving of and articulating the conceptual basis for a distinctive original work. Students also study the development of diverse sonic materials analogously from a work's conceptual basis. This prepares students for the extended focus of the final unit in the sequence, ATS3141 Composition 6.
Upon completion of this unit, students are able to:
- Conceive of and articulate the conceptual basis for a distinctive musical work;
- Demonstrate the ability to develop sonic materials analogously from a work's conceptual basis.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
ATS2128 or ATS2809
This unit is only available to students enrolled in a Bachelor of Music single or double degree - Music composition specialisation.