6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit allows students to better understand the interaction between cultures by using translation as an analytical tool. It provides students with the opportunity to enhance their language skills and gain a basic theoretical knowledge in translating from English into other languages and from other languages into English. Students will work individually and collectively from a variety of text types and will engage with the main cultural issues involved in the translation process.
On successful completion of the unit students will be able to:
- identify and communicate cultural differences and similarities between English, and languages other than English;
- translate basic texts from other languages into English and English into other languages, with an understanding of their cultural context;
- acquire and apply a basic knowledge of translation theory;
- analyse various types of texts and understand their cultural underpinning.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information