6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit requires a language entry level testlanguage entry level test (http://www.monash.edu/arts/language-entry-level/).
This unit will introduce students to advanced intermediate spoken and written standard Chinese. In addition to regular classroom activities, listening and speaking skills will be further developed through project work with a focus on Chinese culture.
This unit is available to students who have a Chinese language ability equivalent to Chinese 4. Upon successful completion of this subject students will develop:
- An understanding of some current issues in China and the ability to express personal views on such issues in Chinese
- The ability to discuss topics related to their own fields of interest in Chinese
- Knowledge of a grammatical framework and vocabulary that enables them to write in a relatively sophisticated manner
- The ability to write different kinds of prose and poetry in Chinese
- The ability to present their project work in Chinese in a small group.
- Language proficiency equivalent to Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level B1-
Within semester assessment: 50% + Exam: 50%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information