6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Online)
Students need to contact the Arts Student ServicesArts Student Services (http://future.arts.monash.edu/contact-arts/) desk to enrol in the unit.
This unit explores the various social, cultural and natural elements that make up regional societies in Australia. Studying issues such as population growth, resource and service allocation, climate change and sustainability and the impact of globalisation upon regional communities provides a platform for a more distinct understanding of rural life and the sociological theories that frame them. In particular this unit focuses on exploring the manner in which people in regional/rural areas conduct their lives in the face of diverse environmental, cultural, political and social change. We engage with the research and debates that surround these issues and focus each week on various case studies that provide in-depth illustration of the impact these have for communities.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- be able to identify and explain the sociological theories that explain regional/rural societies;
- be able to identify and understand the significant social, political and cultural issues that regional Australians currently face;
- be able to understand the processes, institutions and policies that shape the organisation and structure of regional Australia;
- be able to recognise and critically assess debates associated with rural health policy, education policy, climate change, sustainability and population growth;
- have gained skills in the written presentation of an argument and have a greater ability to critically assess social issues through sociological reasoning.
Short essay (1000 words): 25% + Long essay (1500 words): 35% + Exam(2 hours): 40%
2 hours (2 hour seminar) per week
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
ATS1367 and ATS1898 or equivalent
ATS3731, GSC2213, GSC3213, SCY2813, SCY3813