6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- First semester 2017 (Online)
Students need to contact the Arts Student ServicesArts Student Services (http://future.arts.monash.edu/contact-arts/) desk to enrol in the unit.
This Unit analyses two broad, interrelated themes: firstly, the political struggles and activism of Indigenous peoples; and secondly, the numerous Government policies that have affected Indigenous peoples. The first section of the Unit examines these themes from a historical perspective, exploring issues such as protectionism, the 1938 Day of Mourning, assimilation, the 1967 Referendum, self-determination and the Aboriginal Tent Embassy. The second section of the Unit discusses several contemporary Indigenous issues that relate to the two themes. These issues include: land rights, native title, deaths in custody, the stolen generation, reconciliation, treaty, welfare reform and sovereignty.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- Understand the politics of Indigenous and non-Indigenous relations from the Invasion to the present day, particularly the connections between Indigenous political activism and Government policies on Indigenous issues.
- Have developed an awareness of the need to analyse and understand contemporary Indigenous issues in a critical historical context.
- Be able to analyse a range of complicated, contemporary Indigenous issues and to argue their own viewpoint on these issues.
Within semester assessment: 55% + Exam: 45%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
12 points at first year level any any discipline
AIS2025, AIS3025, ATS3364