12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Centre for Theatre and Performance
- First semester 2017 (Day)
The unit combines a study of the history and formal structures of 'the Musical' with practical tuition and training in writing for Musical Theatre. It examines key theoretical frameworks for the study of Musical Theatre, and defines the formal characteristics of 'the Musical' in its Broadway and other manifestations. It embodies this knowledge in practical song writing and libretto writing workshops, including sessions with leading industry professionals, exploring the implications of particular choices in structure and score. Ultimately, the unit produces a full student-written work of musical theatre which is developed and performed in second semester in the unit, ATS2297/ATS3297 Musical Theatre 2 - Skills and Performance.
Upon successful completion of the unit students will have:
- an understanding of the conventions and traditions of twentieth-century musical theatre;
- familiarity with the distinctive methodological issues involved in the study of the form, and of the languages appropriate to their articulation and analysis;
- thorough knowledge of key works and developments in the field;
- applied knowledge of formal structures and writings skills in musical theatre;
- the ability to work collaboratively in a team throughout a creative process from inception to execution;
- the capacity to articulate critical analyses in systematic written argument, and in clear and confident oral presentations.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Twelve credit points of first-year Arts units.
ATS2477, ATS3296, ATS3477