6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
- This unit is an international study programinternational study program (http://future.arts.monash.edu/learning-abroad) that requires an application to be enrolled and may incur additional cost.
- The unit may be offered as part of the Summer Arts ProgramSummer Arts Program (http://www.monash.edu/students/courses/arts/summer-program.html).
- The unit may be offered as part of the Winter Arts ProgramWinter Arts Program (http://www.monash.edu/students/courses/arts/winter-program.html).
This study tour offers a unique environment for students to engage with the history politics and culture of Cuba. Students will undertake a two-week intensive stay in Cuba where they will have the opportunity to engage with academics, activists and leading cultural figures. Students will be asked to engage with some of key challenges facing Cuba today and to consider these in a broader global context. A key component of this study tour will be directed at developing students' cultural literacy.
Upon successful completion of the unit students will be able to:
- develop awareness of the contemporary Cuban context;
- understand the global position of Cuba and the historical forces that shaped the revolution and continue to impact the nation today;
- communicate an academic understanding of key issues/challenges in the region;
- demonstrate intercultural competence in practice and a capacity for teamwork.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
Off-campus attendance requirements
Two week intensive study tour of Cuba (Havana, Santa Clara, Trinidad)
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Twelve credit points of first-year Arts units.