6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Trimester 3 2017 (On-campus block of classes)
- This unit is an international study programinternational study program (http://future.arts.monash.edu/learning-abroad) at Prato that requires an application to be enrolled and may incur additional cost.
- This is an Arts enrichment unitArts enrichment unit (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2017handbooks/undergrad/arts-01.html).
The unit develops Italian cultural knowledge and language proficiency through a focus on Italian historical and contemporary society. Passages from seminal Italian literary texts as well as other media are used to understand and critically analyse Italian society and its transformation in the last century.
Upon successful completion of the unit students will be able to:
- acquire an understanding of historical and cultural developments of contemporary Italy;
- analyse complex issues in Italian society and culture;
- critically read, assess, and articulate an informed position regarding Italian cultural and historical texts;
- consolidate and expand their knowledge of grammatical concepts, vocabulary and written and spoken styles in Italian;
- use an expanded vocabulary and grammatical knowledge set to listen to, speak/write and read a range of Italian styles.
Within semester assessment: 70% + Exam: 30%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
ATS2224 or equivalent as determined by the coordinator