6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This is the first part of a sequence in upper intermediate Japanese. This unit covers both spoken language and contemporary written language and aims to enhance students' knowledge about Japan and the different varieties of the language. The unit also aims to develop students' study skills and intercultural competence.
Upon successful completion students should:
- be able to understand and use Japanese grammar at intermediate level
- be able to read and understand extracts from Japanese text, of various genres written for a Japanese audience
- have developed listening and speaking skills in the area of their interest
- have developed interview skills to obtain information from members of the Japanese community
- be able to write and talk about given topics
- be able to recognize the kanji introduced at previous levels, and 150 newly introduced kanji
- have developed and be able to display skills to use a Japanese word processor
- be able to use a kanji dictionary
- have developed skills that will enable them to continue their Japanese acquisition outside the classroom.
Within semester assessment: 70% + Exam: 30%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Japanese intermediate 2 or equivalent