6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
- The unit has a compulsory ensemble componentensemble component (http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/music/category/performance-studies/student-ensembles/). Some ensembles are subject to audition. Normally, auditions take place in Week 1 of the semester. Please see the unit guide for further information.
- Students who fail this unit will need permission from the unit coordinator in order to repeat the unit.
This unit consolidates and extends the intermediate skills in creative music technology developed in ATS2129 Creative music technology 3. Students further develop intermediate technical skills by combining comprehensive production, composition, recording and performance techniques. By participating in a final performance, students demonstrate their acquired theoretical and creative skills, and this prepares them for the advanced level study of creative music technology in the next unit in the sequence, ATS3142 Creative music technology 5.
Upon completion of the unit, students are able to:
- Comprehend detailed computer music production and composition techniques following a conceptual theme;
- Conceive of and create specific custom software and hardware tools that assist in the delivery of a conceptual theme;
- Demonstrate personal 'sound' production values by recording of live music productions;
- Demonstrate the ability to performance and improvise using music technology in collaboration with acoustic instruments following a conceptual theme.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
ATS2129 or ATS2808
This unit is only available to students enrolled in a Bachelor of Music single or double degree - Creative music technology specialisation.