6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
This unit requires a language entry level testlanguage entry level test (http://www.monash.edu/arts/language-entry-level/).
This unit aims to develop knowledge, strategies and skills needed to interact in Japanese in practical contexts in Australia and Japan and also aims to extend linguistic, sociolinguistic and sociocultural knowledge to develop cross-cultural awareness and facilitate effective interaction.
Upon completing Japanese Introductory 2, students will be able to:
- understand basic conversations about familiar topics and simple classroom instructions.
- understand short texts written using basic vocabulary and grammar practiced in class.
- demonstrate a knowledge about casual speech and writing styles, such as diaries and emails to friends.
- talk about familiar topics using vocabulary and expressions learned in class.
- talk about their experiences and schedule in more detail, based on routines practiced in class.
- write about personal and familiar topics using vocabulary and grammar practiced in class
- write/type 150 kanji, including approximately 90 new kanji.
- further develop basic knowledge of some aspects of Japanese society and culture.
- apply basic research skills to find relevant information about given topics, organise, synthesise and analyse the information and communicate it in written form.
Within semester assessment: 60% + Exam: 40%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
ATS1141 or equivalent