6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
The unit aims to consolidate and extend cultural knowledge and communication skills commenced in ATS1111. The primary theme of the unit is focused on journeys or travel as an influence on cultural interaction and personal awareness. The cultural lectures explore journeys in road films and literature through translated text. The tutorials provide opportunities for language practice and presentations related to students own journeys. Students taking this unit are required to have completed ATS1111 or have acquired a basic knowledge of Indonesian language and culture through formal study or in-country experience.
Upon successful completion of the unit students will be able to:
- apply an extended knowledge of the Indonesian language to present experiences related to journeys or travel;
- query and discuss common contrasting and shared cultural practices in daily life;
- discuss, present, and apply frequently used Indonesian grammatical forms related to word formation and sentence structure;
- apply basic research skills to retrieve, synthesise and communicate information related to significant historical or contemporary journeys made through the Indonesian/Malay Archipelago in English.
Within semester assessment: 50% + Exam: 50%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
ATS1111 or equivalent