12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- First semester 2017 (Evening)
Within this unit students engage in a range of studio design projects which have quota restrictions. For distribution into studio project groups, consideration will be given to student preference forms, academic performance, and previous design studio experiences. Weighted Average Mark (WAM) may be taken into account to ensure there is an even distribution of students in the studio project groups. Studio project group allocation will be decided by the Program Coordinator and Chief Examiner of the unit.
Architecture Design Research Studio consolidates concepts and skills relevant to advanced architectural design research. It establishes the full set of conceptual and skill-based competencies necessary for undertaking the subsequent design research project. It maintains emphasis on design as a synthetic process encompassing a range of complex issues inherent in the production of architecture. Studies in the unit will maintain a focus on developing design as a visual language and process of cultural production with an emphasis on social and environmental sustainability.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- Demonstrate the first stages of mastery in architectural design necessary for the completion of the Architecture Design Research Project.
- Have acquired proficiency in design research.
- Have the ability to critically analyse and successfully respond to the complex range of issues inherent in an architectural design project.
- Have achieved proficiency in observation, analysis, experiment and critique as they apply to the advanced architectural design processes.
- Have acquired a high level of competence in all presentation skills: verbal, graphic and 3-dimensional.
- Understand and be able to apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the unit of study.
100% mixed mode
24 hours per week including 6 contact hours per week and 18 hours of independent study or equivalent.
See also Unit timetable information