12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
This unit will provide students with an opportunity to conduct a research project related to their workplace or community. Under academic supervision, the project will involve negotiated outcomes between the student, the university and particular organisation/s and/or communities involved. Students will be expected to have thought through some of the issues related to their proposed methodology in the course of completing the pre-requisite research methodology unit, especially the requirement for ethics approval for research involving humans. The aim of the unit is to produce a high quality, practice focused and reflective report relevant to the focus of their degree.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate: skills and knowledge in initiating and conducting independent research under supervision;
- an appreciation of, and a commitment to ethical research;
- advanced critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills;
- advanced written skills through the presentation of a 9000 word research project;
- skills and knowledge in reviewing a specific body of research, and command of that literature;
- skills and knowledge in critically examining a key issue or issues relevant to the focus of their degree.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
EDF6810, EDF6020, APG5784, APG4764, APG5868