6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
- The unit may be offered as part of the Summer Arts ProgramSummer Arts Program (http://www.monash.edu/students/courses/arts/summer-program.html).
- The unit may be offered as part of the Winter Arts ProgramWinter Arts Program (http://www.monash.edu/students/courses/arts/winter-program.html).
This unit aims to provide a basic foundation in the basic language skills essential to fieldwork. The skills of listening, speaking, and reading Spanish are the focus, together with an introduction to contemporary Latin American social and political history and culture. It is specifically designed for those students who have little or no knowledge of the language and wish to develop the language and cultural competencies required for fieldwork.
Upon successful completion of this unit, learners should be able to:
- Understand and speak basic Spanish with reference to present, past and future events in a range of everyday situations
- read elementary but authentic texts in Spanish
- understand basic structural aspects of Spanish
- have an enhanced understanding of language learning and communication strategies, and
- understand key aspects of contemporary Latin American culture and society.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Approval by the unit co-ordinator