12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
The unit provides in-depth coverage of specific (traditional or new/emerging) topics in bioethics, including the latest research on the topics of focus. The topic of focus will (usually) differ each time this unit is offered--and will reflect current research of the instructor(s) (who will sometimes be visiting/guest lecturers) and/or recent literature (e.g., new books) of special importance. The topic of focus during semesters in which this unit will be offered will be announced in advance via the Centre for Human Bioethics website (see: http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/bioethics/postgraduate-units-offered-by-the-centre-for-human-bioethics/)
- In-depth familiarity with recent developments in bioethics research
- In-depth understanding of complexity surrounding specific traditional and/or newly emerging topics in bioethics of special importance
- The ability to provide rigorous, in-depth analysis of bioethical issues
- The ability to develop and articulate one's own position regarding bioethical issues of special importance
- The ability to pursue advanced research in bioethics
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
APG4393, APG5393, or equivalent