12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
This unit will investigate performance practice in two modules: one relating to the preparation of performance and one concerning both performance itself and the critique of performance. Students will be expected to initiate and carry out their own performance project, to discover appropriate background material, and to sustain a discussion with the class on issues arising from the development of their project. After the presentation of the performances, students will prepare a written or oral critique of their project.
Students who complete this unit successfully should be able:
- To make a new performance work which draws on contemporary ideas and practices.
- To critique the making of this work in the light of contemporary performance theory.
- To participate in class investigations and help facilitate discoveries in methodologies of performance making.
- To make presentations on the processes of creating performance.
- To articulate in oral and written form the specific elements and objectives of an original piece of performance making.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Theatre and performance