6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Malaysia School of Arts and Social Sciences
This unit has a student enrolment quota of 45.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This multidisciplinary capstone unit is designed to be a culminating experience for students in the School of Arts and Social Sciences. Students from Communications, Writing, Global Studies, and Gender Studies majors will work in groups on a policy report and recommendation on a specific issue of contemporary concern. Students will bring their disciplinary expertise to bear in identifying the key challenges inherent to the issue and proposing solutions to these challenges. The report and policy recommendations will be presented to an external expert in the specific issue area.
Upon successful completion of the unit students will be able to:
- identify various state and non-state actors and their roles in contributing to and resolving an international policy issue;
- critically analyse the goals and motivations of various actors involved with an international policy issue;
- collaborate effectively with peers in a small group environment;
- interpret primary and secondary documents through developing critical reading skills;
- communicate ideas and arguments in verbal form;
- write and present policy briefs.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Twelve credit points of second-year Arts units.