6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Malaysia School of Arts and Social Sciences
Associate Professor Andrew Ng Hock Soon
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit explores the various twentieth century theories on authorship and their relationship to the practices of reading. Topics range from the Romantic notion of authorship, to the authorship of autobiographies and films.
On successful completion of this unit students should:
- Be able to critically evaluate the range of practices employed in authorial criticism;
- Understand how theories of authorship have changed in the movement from Romanticism to structuralism;
- Comprehend the difference between the subject writing and the empirical author;
- Have a working knowledge of the relationship between film style and authorial expression;
- Be able to identify the key features of auteur theory and understand how it is used as a means of classification in film theory.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Twelve credit points of second-year Arts units.