6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Malaysia School of Arts and Social Sciences
- First semester 2017 (Day)
The unit provides further development of the students' skills in critical evaluation in the production of online journalism. By producing a series of multimedia stories, students will further develop the key performance practices of researching, interviewing, writing stories, photography, recording in various media, voice presentation and online presentation. Students will also critically consider the impact and implications of different modes of audience engagement for online journalists, including the ethical and editorial issues with regards to online news production.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- demonstrate an ability to identify and research a news story, conduct interviews and determine the best storytelling platforms to articulate their ideas;
- demonstrate an ability to report in a clear, concise, accurate and engaging way in at least two media;
- identify, observe key ethical and legal obligations associated with news reporting, and reflect critically on their own and others' performance in this regard;
- work independently and collaboratively in learning and production processes, including online forums, to produce news reports;
- demonstrate an ability to set and meet deadlines, and report under pressure;
- demonstrate an awareness of local, national and international people and events relevant to current affairs and media issues;
- demonstrate a critical awareness of the capacities, limitations and socio-professional implications of journalistic practices in different media.
Students may be required to go on at least one domestic fieldtrip.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Communication, media and screen studies
Global studies in communication and media
One of the following units ATS1277, ATS1278, ATS1328 or ATS1329, plus one other 6 point first year Arts unit.
AMU3787, ATS2787, ATS3787