6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Malaysia School of Arts and Social Sciences
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit introduces the study of 'mass media' in terms of the relationships between industry, texts and audiences. Areas of study include news production, textual analysis, media ownership and diversity, film and sport.
On successful completion of the unit, students should be able to:
- Recognise and be able to apply available strategies for critically analysing media texts as tools for making meaning;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the various economic, political and cultural forces which shape the practical work of media production;
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the historical development of media industries;
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the ways that available frameworks for making sense of media texts contribute to the production of dominant, or common sense, understandings of the world.
Within semester assessment: 70%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Communication, media and screen studies
Global studies in communication and media